Monday, August 18, 2008

Still Standing!

In life, we have the privilege of interfacing with people with extraordinary strength and bravery – individuals that stand up for what is right no matter the adversity and even if that means standing alone…..heroes!

I have a few heroes in my life and one of them is my daughter. My daughter was in first grade last year at our local public school. Last spring she told me the following story:

In my daughter’s first grade class there were only 6 girls and 11 boys, so the girls were a rather tight group often playing with one another. The students had gone out to the playground to play. The girls all ran out to the swing set and sat crossed legged on the ground, closed their eyes and put there arms and hands out and began to “ohm” over and over.

My daughter still standing told them to stop – she explained to them that they were calling up demons. She explained that Jesus would not want them to “ohm”. The girls listened to her but then began to “ohm” again only louder.

I asked my daughter, “ What did you do?” She quickly replies, “I went and played by myself”. I was so proud of her at this moment.

But being her mother I also wanted to protect her and wanted to make sure she did not feel rejected. I said, “ are you OK – how do you feel?”

My daughter looked at me and said, “Mom I am fine -- remember, you told me I am leader not a follower.”

She is a true hero – warrior for Jesus!

2 comments:

Michele said...

I'm proud of you Kiki!
Jesus is too!

Cris Aguilar said...

Just like her mom... a chip off the ol block.